Scotland: Pavement Licences

When you’re running a bar, restaurant or café you want to make your premises as inviting and noticeable as possible. However, putting furniture and signs on the pavement without the correct permissions can land you in hot water.

Putting your property onto a Public Footpath can lead to heavy fines if you don’t have a pavement licence when required to do so. Even when you own the land, some local authorities want you to obtain Planning Permission before displaying tables, chairs and signs.

This area of law is complex and varies from region to region. With one of the largest teams of specialist licensing lawyers in the country, we can make sure that you do not fall foul of the regulations that are specific to your area.


Planning Permission

Formal permission from a local authority for the erection or alteration of buildings or similar development or for the change of use of land from one designated purpose to another.

Public Footpath

A path over which there is a public right of way allowing members of public to cross without permission.