Premises Licence

Getting an operating licence is only half the story in terms of gambling permissions. Before you can open a betting shop, casino, race track or any other type of gambling business, you’ll need a Premises Licence from your local authority.

You can apply for a premises licence once you have submitted an operating licence application, although it won’t be granted until the Gambling Commission has approved the operating licence.

Every different type of gambling business has its own associated premises licence, each with a different application process.

As one of the largest specialist gaming solicitors in the UK, we can assist you in the preparation and submission of any type of application to give you the best possible chance of getting your premises licence.


Gambling Commission

Are an independent non-departmental public body (NDPB) sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). The Gambling Commission was setup under the Gambling Act 2005 to regulate commercial gambling in Great Britain in partnership with licensing authorities.

Operating Licence

A Licence issued under part 5 of the Gambling Act 2005 by the Gambling Commission permitting the holder to carry on specified gaming or betting activities.

Premises Licence

A Licence issued under part 8 of the Gambling Act 2005 by the Local Authority in which the premises are situated permitting gaming or betting activities to take place on the premises.  The licence will only be issued to the holder of a relevant Operating Licence.  The following are categories of premises licence:

  • Betting Premises (other than a racing track)
  • Casino
  • Bingo
  • Track Premises
  • Family Entertainment Centres
  • Adult Gaming Centres