Pub Code Adjudicator Strategy
The Pubs Code Adjudicator (PCA) is a body which sits between the pub companies and tied premises and seeks to help balance the relationship between the 2 entities.
Today the PCA has released its strategy for delivering its priorities over the next three years https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pca-strategy-report-august-2022
The document runs to 30 pages and was compiled after 35 in-depth interviews were conducted with sector stakeholders in April and May and then referenced against the PCA’s recent annual tied tenant survey and PCA staff workshops..
The strategy confirms that The PCA will also continue to develop its approach as a professional regulator and work with its arbitration services partner, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, to deliver a quality arbitration service but it will also look at stronger partnerships working across the industry.
In the report areas that are identified as key areas are as follows:
- clear parameters
- active listening
- great expectations
- arbitration excellence & beyond
- effective signposting
The report sets out the following Success Criteria:
- Tenants are aware of their rights and the legislation to support them.
- Tenants know what information they are entitled to and when and how they can access their rights.
- Tenants know what their options are if they are not treated fairly and know what steps to take to address that.
- Pub-owning companies are clear on their obligations within the Code to empower tenants throughout the tenant journey by providing the right information, dealing fairly in negotiations and informing tenants of key moments to access their Code rights.
- Pub-owning companies are clear on the process for raising issues that might affect their obligations, how to flag Code breaches, and the consequences of not doing so in a timely manner.
- The PCA partners with the wider sector to promote understanding of the Code for key stakeholders, including legislative changes and responses to key strategic issues that arise.
- Tenants and pub-owning companies receive a quality arbitration service to resolve Code disputes and tenants have access to quality professional advice to support them during their business relationship.
Fiona Dickie, Pubs Code Adjudicator, said;
“I am pleased to introduce the PCA’s first ever strategy at a time of significant challenge for the industry. I am committed to achieving positive change for tied tenants and we are already seeing progress. We can achieve even more by collaborating with others and this will underpin the PCA’s work over the coming year.”