Covid 19 - Hospitality businesses to receive support
Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced additional financial support to hospitality and leisure businesses in England in the lead up to Christmas.
One-off grants of up to £6,000 per premises for businesses in these sectors are being made available. Eligible businesses can apply for grants which will be administered by local authorities and will be available in the coming weeks. The government would also help applicable firms with the cost of sick pay for Covid-related absences.
The government is also to provide support to other businesses impacted by Omicron, such as those who supply the hospitality and leisure industries, by making a further £100 million available in support.
The total support package is calculated to be £1bn in total, which is made up of the following:
- £683 million for grants for hospitality and leisure businesses in England
- £102 million top-up for the additional restrictions grant for local authorities to support other businesses
- £30m for the cultural recovery fund to support theatres and museums
- A statutory sick pay rebate scheme, so that small and medium-sized enterprises can recover costs for sick employees
- £154 million of Barnett funding