Private Hire Operators Licence

You can’t just open a taxi business. If you want to start offering mini-cabs for hire, you’ll need a licence that allows you to act as a private hire operator.

These licences are obtained from your local Licensing Authority and can last for up to five years, although many authorities require annual renewals.

The licensing authority can only decline these types of application on the grounds that you are not a fit and proper person to hold such a licence. 

However, what constitutes a fit and proper person is not clearly defined so the authority has a wide discretion in each case. If they do reject your application you may need the help of a solicitor to try and overturn their decision.

As one of the largest specialist licensing solicitors in the UK, we can take care of everything from preparing the necessary papers to representing you in court.


Licensing Authority

The relevant local authority area in which the vehicle is licensed or operates.

Private Hire Operators

Takes bookings for Private Hire Vehicles and despatches the vehicle to the customer. Bookings can also be taken on behalf of Hackney Carriages.  The Operator must be licensed by the relevant Licensing Authority. Licensing Authorities may refuse Private Hire Operator Licences to persons they do not deem to be fit and proper.

Private Hire Vehicle (PHV)

Are defined in the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 (outside London) and The Private Hire Vehicles (London) Act 1998 (within London).  A Private Hire Vehicle cannot ply for trade or stand at a rank like a hackney carriage, it must be pre-booked with a Private Hire Operator.  A PHV must be driven by the holder of a private hire driver’s licence. Licensing Authorities may refuse Private Hire Driver Licences to persons they do not deem to be fit and proper.