APLH (England & Wales) Course, Exam, Qualification & Personal Licence Application Combined

In England and Wales, it is mandatory that you have an Award For Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification or equivalent to apply for a Personal Licence.

But don’t worry if you think this will slow down your attempts to acquire a Personal Licence. John Gaunt & Partners are one of the largest licensing solicitors in the UK, and our combined APLH course, exam and Personal Licence Application, can see you acquiring your licence quickly and easily.

This all-in-one package is the quickest and easiest way to gain a Personal Licence.

Course Fee: £306.83 +VAT (Per Person)

Course Fee: £306.83 +VAT (Per Person) for the combined APLH Course, Exam and Personal Licence.

This eLearning APLH course is designed to be taken at your own pace, and from any location. During the course, you will be scheduled for one of our BIIAB accredited exam sessions, which will be arranged at a convenient time for you.

The APLH course covers:

  • The various roles, functions and responsibilities of licensing authorities, particularly within the framework of the licensing objectives
  • The entire application process for a personal licence
  • The role and legal responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the penalties for failing to comply with the law
  • The premises licence
  • The content and purpose of operating schedules
  • The role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
  • Unauthorised and temporary licensable activities
  • Rights of entry to licensed premises
  • Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises
  • The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
  • The strengths of alcoholic drinks and the effects of alcohol on the human body
  • The protection of children from harm
  • The responsible retail sale of alcohol

We will provide you with all the appropriate training materials and course requirements in advance and we can even help you with the next stage of applying for your personal licence.

The exam is a 40-minute multiple choice exam which will be undertaken online using the BIIAB exam portal and Microsoft Teams.

By choosing the APLH certificate and personal Licence Combined, you will also be guided through the process of the Personal Licence application. 

Once you have provided us with relevant information we will apply for a DBS check on your behalf and then submit all the required documents to the local authority for your Personal Licence.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost of the Personal Licence?

This all-in-one APLH and Personal Licence package costs £368.20 (including £37 Personal Licence Application fee and £36 + VAT DBS Check).

How long is my APLH Licence valid for?

As long as your APLH Licence is not revoked or invalidated, you may hold it indefinitely.

Am I eligible for a Personal Licence?

There are a number of factors to consider for eligibility for a Personal Licence:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must have the right to live and work in the UK
  • You must not have forfeited a Personal Licence within the last 5 years.

What is the APLH Course and how long does it take?

The APLH Course is 6 hours long, and due to the eLearning nature of the course, it can be taken at your own leisure. 

The course provides foundational knowledge for the licence and its context within wider licensing practices. It covers a range of topics like roles and duties, licensable activities, the responsible retail of alcohol, and much more.

To complete your APLH course, you will need to pass a 40-minute multiple-choice exam through a BIIAB accredited exam session. Upon successfully passing the exam, you will be awarded your BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification.

What does forfeiting a Personal Licence mean?

Forfeiting a Personal Licence effectively means that your licence is cancelled. This generally happens if you are convicted of an offence that is relevant to your licence.

Licence holders should also be aware that a licence can be suspended for up to 6 months. During this time, you may not authorise the sale of alcohol.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor?

Designated Premises Supervisors play a vital role in the running of any licensed premises.

As well as managing the everyday responsibilities that may come with their role, they are also responsible for the authorisation of the sale of alcohol.To be a Designated Premises Supervisor you are required to have a Personal lIcence.

It is mandatory that all premises that are serving alcohol have a Designated Premises Supervisor who holds a personal licence.

Can I work in a bar, or pub, without a Personal Licence?

Yes. You are not required to hold a Personal Licence when working at a bar or pub. If you are put in a position where you need to authorise alcohol sales, then you must complete an APLH course and acquire your licence.

If I have a criminal record will I be able to apply for the licence?

You can still apply for a Personal Licence even if you have a criminal record. 

If you do have a criminal record, you should be aware that the licensing authority will determine whether your conviction is relevant to your application, and may not allow you a Personal Licence.

Please get in touch with the John Gaunt and Partners team if you are unsure about your criminal record affecting your chances of acquiring a Personal Licence. We can advise on whether a criminal conviction is relevant or spent.

What identity checks do I need to complete for my licence application?

When completing your Personal Licence form, you should enclose two photographs of yourself. One photo must be endorsed as a true likeness of you by:

  • A solicitor, such as John Gaunt & Partners
  • A notary
  • A person of standing in the community
  • Any individual with a professional qualification

If you select the combined option when applying for your Personal Licence, John Gaunt & Partners will be able to endorse your photograph for you.

Can I sell alcohol anywhere with a personal licence?

You can use your Personal Licence anywhere in England or Wales. You will not need to acquire a new licence from each local authority that you work within.

If you require a Personal Licence and live in Scotland, please you must complete the SCPLH course instead of the APLH.

Who is BIIAB?

BIIAB is an accredited personal licence qualification provider. To acquire your APLH certificate, you will be required to complete a BIIAB accredited exam.

BIIAB stands for the British Institute of Innkeeping Awarding Body.

Contact our Team

For more information on Personal Licences, view our page on How to get a Personal Licence today. 

If you would like to complete the combined APLH and Personal Licence journey, fill out the contact form on your right. 

To reach out to a member of the John Gaunt & Partners team, contact them by phone, email or contact form.

Contact Us

Book Online

APLH (England & Wales) Course, Exam, Qualification & Personal Licence Application Combined
Course Type:
Online - eLearningPlus