Applying for a premises Licence

In order to run a premises that sells alcohol, provides entertainment or offers hot food and drink after 11pm, you must have a premises licence. This applies to both existing and new buildings.

Without this you will be in breach of the law, you will not be able to operate and could face legal action and/or prosecution. 

We can help you to navigate the Premises Licence application process to ensure that your premises falls in line with regulation so you can concentrate on running your business.

Applying for a Licence to Sell Alcohol

Premises licences are commonly referred to as pub licences, therefore, ‘how to get a pub licence?’ is a question we are frequently asked. Without a premises licence, you will be unable to serve alcohol, put on entertainment or serve food and drink after 11pm. 

On top of your premises licence, all businesses selling wine, beer or spirits also need at least one person, the Designated Premises Supervisor, to hold a current personal licence.

You can apply for a premises licence online via the Government website. We can help to guide you through the process, offer advice on the terms of your licence to make sure it works for you and represent you should any objections be made to your application.

The Process

In order to obtain a premises or pub licence, you must submit a form on the government website. They also have numerous resources offering guidance and helping to explain the process. Alternatively, you fill out a paper copy of the form. 

During the application process, you will be required to provide details of your operating schedule, proof of entitlement to work, consent of the designated premises supervisor and a plan of the premises. 

Operating Schedule

This will include your proposed opening hours, and hours of service, the type and duration of activities that will take place on your premises e.g. entertainment, the selling of alcohol etc. You will also need to state the name of your Designated Premises Supervisor, whether alcohol sold will be consumed on or off the premises,  and how you will ensure customers and employees adhere to the licensing objectives. This will form the conditions and basis of your licensing agreement therefore all information provided should be as accurate as possible.

Proof of Entitlement to Work

In order to successfully obtain a pub, premises or drinks license you must prove that you are eligible to work in the UK. You must also prove that you are subject to any condition that prevents you from obtaining a pub or premises licence. This stage of the process may include an immigration status check from The Home Office.


As you must have both a premises and a personal licence in order to run a licensed venue, you must have consent from the designated premises supervisor. This will likely be the person responsible for the day to day running of the premises as they will have main control over activities. They will act as the main point of contact for all licensing queries and communications.

Premises Plan

The premises plan should provide details of the boundaries, points of access, toilets, stair and steps, escape routes, locations within the venue of licensable activities, raised areas, safety equipment and more. This will also help to create the basis and conditions for your licensing agreement.

Once you have submitted your application, it will be subject to a 28-day public consultation period, where members of the public and authorities such as the police can make comments about your application. 

Notice of your application needs to be displayed at the premises, in the local newspaper and a copy of the application must be sent to a number of different authorities.

If the application receives objections, the application will need to be considered by the local Licensing Committee. Councillors will then make a decision to grant, refuse or partially grant the application. 

We regularly appear before Committees on behalf of our clients in support of their applications and will do everything we can to give your case the best chance of success.

For more information or to discuss how you can get a premises licence, please do not hesitate to get in touch!


Designated Premises Supervisor

The person who is nominated as the single point of accountability in a premises, licensed to sell alcohol.  To be a Designated Premises supervisor you must be a Personal Licence holder.

Premises Licence

A licence issued pursuant to the Licensing Act 2003 or Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 as appropriate, authorising a defined area to be used for one or more licensable activity.

Premises Licence Holder

The holder of a premises licence, the holder can be a person aged 18 or over, a limited company or a partnership.